1. Two weeks ago, my mom and I headed up to Northern Virginia to see my grandparents and uncle for the weekend. Even though we discovered a minor leak in their basement that required immediate repair, we had a great time just spending time together for a couple of days. One of the days we were there, I did my make-up in my grandparents’ bedroom (the light was better in there…) while MeMaw was still getting ready in there, too. I may be 27, but there was still something kind of special about that.
2. Last weekend, I had the amazing privilege of attending a baby dedication for little miss Kenzie (held by two of her grandparents in the above photo above and totally giving her mommy a look that says, “Hey, Mom, are we about done with all these photos?” ha! She really was a trooper and so happy the whole time!). This sweet family is just precious to me. I am beyond grateful to call them friends, and have loved watching them step into this role as parents. It was pure joy to be a part of this commitment to raise Kenzie in a way that honors and glorifies God and points her to her own relationship with Christ as Savior and Lord.
3. Speaking of privileges, last night I attended a beautiful wedding of a beautiful couple. Such a sweet ceremony and fun evening with friends.
4. This verse (and this message) is still on my heart. I love how the Lord is stirring some of your hearts in the same way!
5. And now, I’m off to check my kitchen to make sure I have the ingredients on hand for these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk cookies that I found on Pinterest this morning. They look SO good!
1. I may have more stories of Holy Spirit moments from Guatemala to share at some point (because trust me, it was such a Holy Spirit led and filled trip that there are still many of them!), but my heart needed a break from sharing in this space. So because it’s Friday, a catch-all 5 things post seemed in order.
2. But speaking of Guatemala, have you read this post yet? You should. Seriously. The message is so far beyond me and the story is so worth hearing.
3. Have you noticed there’s a new schedule around here? The goal is new posts on Tuesdays and Fridays with the occasional third post thrown in if necessary. It’s a recent shift, but I like the rhythm of it so far. Tuesdays will be for devo thoughts and Fridays will be for anything goes.
4. It snowed last weekend, y’all! In typical Charlotte style, it snowed on Saturday afternoon and was pretty much completely melted by Sunday afternoon, but it was beautiful while it lasted. The photo is the view out my kitchen window.
5. This verse has been extremely close to my heart all week…
“…for we walk by faith, not by sight.”
2 Corinthians 5:7 (ESV)
2. Last week while my parents were out of town, I had to make a quick stop at their house one evening. They have several small dogs (Toy Poodles and a Pomeranian) – who were of course excited to see me! – so even though they were being well taken care of by pet-sitters, I let them all out of their crates to play for about half an hour while I found the info I needed. When I was ready to go, I grabbed a handful of little milkbones to signal my intent, and watched them all hurry to their respective crates to await their treat. Or so I thought. I started handing out treats and closing crate doors until I got to almost the last one only to realize I had closed the door of an empty crate. I walked around to the other side of the kitchen and found Omega hiding behind the trashcan. Ha!
3. Speaking of parents, my mom is a gift-giving genius! True story.
4. This is one of the few pictures I have that proves I was actually in Charleston, SC a couple of weeks ago…even if it is from inside the hotel room. I still kinda love this mirror!
5. I had a rather important meeting earlier this week (which went great!), and in the 24 hours or so leading up to it, as my excitement began to increase, so did my nerves and I found myself craving familiar promises in Scripture. To hear the whole story behind my love for this passage go read this post, but I’ll leave you with my favorite couple of verses that never cease to restore calm and provide comfort as they remind me of God’s Faithfulness and Sovereignty:
“This God – his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.
For who is God, but the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God?”
1. I cleaned my bathroom yesterday, and somewhere in between cleaning the sink and the tub (the. very. worst. part. can I get an amen?), I ended up totally distracted by a nail that’s only been on the wall above the toilet for about 3.5 years. I was so distracted by it’s unsightlyness (I think I just made up a word…) that I went and found a spare frame collecting dust under my bed, put a fabric swatch in it (it was all I could come up with in 5 minutes), and hung it on the wall to hide the old nail hole. It may not be perfect, but it looks so better than a blank wall with a nail sticking out of the center!
2. I’ve been studying Genesis 3 (well, technically Genesis 2-4 for context) in depth this past week for Bible Study. And y’all, the Serpent (aka: the devil, Satan, the beast, the dragon, the evil one) is no joke! I have a whole new appreciation for this verse after my studies over the past several days:
“Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” – 1 Peter 5:8 (ESV)
3. I’m thinking of doubling the photo of the week with a recipe on Friday. Is that cheating?
4. Fun fact: the ceramic fish in the above photo is from the Christmas store (St. Nick Nack’s) in Calabash, NC. My sweet mom got it for me when I first moved into my apartment in college.
5. I discovered Words with Friends this weekend. Oh, dear…
1. I really didn’t intend to go a full week without a blog post after the 31 Days series ended. But it did sort of wear me out. In regards to writing, I don’t think I have ever been so excited about a topic, but at the same time so utterly in-over-my-head and completely dependent on the Lord and His Word.
2. I wore red striped socks under my boots today. Usually I wear black, but they weren’t clean. Now aren’t you glad you stopped by my blog today?
3. I saw the movie “Tower Heist” with a friend on Friday night. It was pretty much hilarious. In a completely mindless and nonsensical sort of way. Perfect for a late Friday evening sort-of-on-a-whim-after-dinner kind of movie. Have you seen any good movies lately?
4. I serve with the one of the 2-year-old classes at church twice month. After playing “musical rooms” (as the coordinator put it) and sort of filling in wherever needed for the past several weeks, I was back in my regularly scheduled classroom yesterday. Well, I had the most adorable conversation with one of my just turned 3-year-old little guys! It was so sweet, it deserves its own post later this week, so stay tuned.
5. A word of encouragement:
“Then Job answered the Lord and said: ‘I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.'”
1. As if you don’t get enough of my ramblings already, I joined twitter this weekend. You can follow me at @emily_gallimore. But only if you want to.
2. The big office reveal will have to wait until November. I know I said I was hoping to do it within the next couple of weeks, but a fun writing project will now be taking over the blog for the entire month of October (details in #4 below!), and the office reveal just doesn’t quite seem to fit the theme. At least not yet. Maybe I can figure out how to sneak it in there in mid-October when you’re tired of hearing from me. But I figure this way, by November all at least most of the small details will already be in place, so it will feel even more finished.
3. I’m having a giveaway on Thursday. You will NOT want to miss this. I am seriously SO excited to share the awesomeness with you!
4. A few blogs I follow (The Inspired Room, Nesting Place, Chatting at the Sky) have previously done 31 Day series during October, and this year, they’ve invited others to join in the challenge with them, so I’ve [somewhat hesitantly] decided to participate. So, as long as all goes according to plan, I’ll be posting daily in October under the topic of 31 Days to Better Understand our [God Given] Callings. I may have more questions than answers, and the series may not be quite as polished or refined as I would prefer, but I’m excited to explore this topic with you for a month, and I invite you to join in the conversation. A formal introduction to the series will be posted on October 1st.
5. Umm…October 1st is THIS Saturday. And I have no idea what that photo has to do with this post either, but I liked it.